Disability Insurance in Rockville Centre, New York
Disability insurance can help pay for some or all of a policyholder’s lost income if a temporary or permanent disability or illness prevents them from working. Contact United Benefits Solutions in West Rockville Centre, New York, to learn more about our disability insurance solutions.
What Does Disability Insurance Cover?
Disability insurance can provide coverage for a range of common injuries or illnesses that could hinder or inhibit your ability to work, such as the following:
- Broken bones
- Chronic pain
- Pregnancy and childbirth, including complications
- Stress or anxiety
- Heart attack
- Sprains and strains
- Surgery recovery
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Consult your insurance agent or contact United Benefits Solutions for more information on qualifying disabilities.
How Many Types of Disability Insurance Are There?
There are two primary types of disability insurance coverage for you to consider, they are:
- Short-term disability (STD) coverage—This coverage can help cover a percentage of your lost income if you’re temporarily unable to work because of a disability. Generally, STD coverage can provide lost income for up to two years of missed work. Depending on your insurer, you may have to wait between 0 and 14 days to receive coverage.
- Long-term disability (LTD) coverage—This coverage can help pay for a percentage of your lost income if your disability prevents you from working for an extended period of time. The duration of LTD coverage may range from several years to retirement. The waiting period for this coverage is typically longer, sometimes lasting several weeks.
The percentage of lost income you receive may be flexible with both policies, although STD insurance typically provides a greater percentage of lost income than LTD coverage. Review your policy carefully or contact United Benefits Solutions to learn more.
How Much Disability Insurance Do I Need?
The amount of income replacement you need will vary with numerous factors, including the following:
- Current expenses—You should consider the amount of income replacement you would need to maintain your current lifestyle, if that’s your goal.
- Spending changes—Your spending habits may change if you’re no longer working. For example, you may save on commuting costs and have to pay fewer taxes. This could mean you need a smaller percentage of your total income to live comfortably.
- Working arrangements—Your spouse may be able to work longer hours if you’re taking care of chores and other household duties for them. This could partially make up for your lost income.
- Alternative sources of income—You may be able to repurpose other types of savings accounts to help cover your current living expenses.
An experienced agent can help you evaluate your disability insurance needs. Contact United Benefits Solutions to learn more about disability coverage and to speak to an insurance agent.
Where Can I Buy Disability Insurance?
Both the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) programs can provide disability benefits to you and certain family members if you meet the Social Security Administration’s disability criteria. Disability insurance can also be bought through private insurers.
The agents at United Benefits Solutions are here to help you get the disability coverage you need. Contact us for a free disability insurance quote and to learn more about our insurance products.
How to Get Disability Insurance
You may have several choices for disability insurance coverage, including group coverage through your employer, short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance or supplemental disability coverage.
Contact United Benefit Solutions, LLC today to learn more about this essential coverage and get a quote.